Please Fill out Our New Patient Forms. Get Started Now!
12545 Orange Drive – Suite 502
Davie, FL 33330
Phone: (954) 474-8048 | Fax: (954) 474-8145
Does your child have problems with mobility, or with daily activities such as buttoning their shirt, tying their shoes, typing, or handwriting that we often take for granted?
We can help! Conveniently located in Broward County, the occupational therapists at Breakthrough Therapy Services work as part of a team that includes parents, teachers, and other professionals to help your autistic or developmentally disabled child cope with basic life skills as well as the skills necessary to thrive in both home and life environments. Through our South Florida occupational therapy programs, your child will also learn about how to delay gratification, to identify and regulate emotional responses, and to focus on the task at hand.
Since people with autism often lack some of the basic social and personal skills required for independent living, our Fort Lauderdale occupational therapists have developed techniques for working on all of these needs. For example:
· Play therapy helps with interaction and communication skills. Tossing and catching balls promotes hand-eye coordination and better balance in children of all ages. Stacking, nesting and building toys help to develop fine motor skills and increase manual dexterity. Scooter boards allow children to slide and scoot along solid flooring, but require maintaining balance to keep the board moving.
· The development of fine motor skills is crucial to a child’s ability to perform well on daily living tasks. Our occupational therapists incorporate physical activities, such as stringing beads, working on puzzles, drawing, coloring or playing musical instruments to improve attention span and eye-hand coordination.
· Sensory integration and fine motor skills can help an autistic person use both sides of the brain. Our Cooper City occupational therapists use activities that engage your child in more than one of his/her five senses such as putting pieces in a puzzle from left to right or drawing circles on a chalkboard.
The overall goal of occupational therapy is to help the person with autism improve his or her quality of life, both at home and socially. The therapists at Breakthrough Pediatric Speech and Occupational Therapy Center will help introduce, maintain, and improve your child’s skills, no matter what level he/she might currently be at. Our goal is to allow your autistic child to be as independent as possible.
These are some of the skills occupational therapy with Breakthrough Therapy Services may help:
· Improve balance and posture
· Improve perceptual skills such as telling the difference between colors, shapes and sizes
· Develop coordination and gross motor skills, such as those used for walking or riding a bike
· Increase visual skills needed for reading or writing
· Make progress on daily living skills, such as toilet training, dressing, and brushing teeth
· Advance fine motor skills needed for holding objects or operating a computer
· Enhance social interactions through play
By working on these skills during occupational therapy, a child with autism may also benefit in the following ways:
· Develop better peer and adult relationships
· Learn how to focus or even multi-task
· Express feelings in appropriate ways
· Have fun playing with peers
When combined with speech therapy and behavior modification therapy, occupational therapy can help boost a child’s self-esteem, motivate them and improve their social interaction. The goal of Breakthrough Therapy Services and our occupational therapists in Fort Lauderdale is to help your child have an independent, productive, and satisfying life.
The Occupational Therapists at Breakthrough Therapy Services in Fort Lauderdale work collaboratively with your child and family to enhance your child’s ability to participate in daily activities. As a therapy TEAM, we work together to develop your child’s skills in a multitude of areas. Whether your child is disabled, autistic, or simply has trouble focusing and concentrating, Pediatric Occupational Therapy Services can maximize functional performance in areas of:
Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) – Immediate self-care needs:
Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL’s) – non- immediate self-care:
School related performance tasks:
Navigation of environment
At Breakthrough Therapy Services in South Florida, we utilize cutting edge, current, and new evidence-based practices to provide skilled assessments in areas such as:
Visual Motor Integration
Limitations within one or more of these areas can impact a child’s participation and performance throughout the day at home, school, and within the community.
Leading our Occupational Therapist Staff is Eva Pacchetti- Damaro, who has been treating children with special needs for over a decade, specializing in Advanced Sensory Integration and Ocular Motor treatments.
Eva ensures that our staff is skilled at utilizing purposeful play to engage even the most resistant children into skilled intervention… despite limitations, Autism, and/or other disabilities. Creative, advanced treatment methods include skilled one-to-one treatment, pragmatic groups, parent training, and even home programs. Individualized Sensory Diets, Therapeutic Listening programs, and Handwriting Without Tears, are just some of the programs skillfully planned and executed at Breakthrough Therapy Services.
Let our dynamic team of occupational therapists determine and BREAK THROUGH the environmental and physical barriers that inhibit your child’s functional independence. In addition to skill-building within your child, we strongly believe in working with families and teachers to make essential modifications which will further facilitate your child’s highest level of independence, self- esteem, and enjoyment throughout the day.
Contact Breakthrough Therapy Services in Broward County today for an initial consultation and to find out what types of occupational therapy will benefit your child(ren).
If you are looking for treatment for a child in need of speech or language therapy, occupational therapy, or if your child is living with a serious delay, disabilities, or Autism, contact Breakthrough Therapy Services of South Florida at (954) 474-8048. Contact our warm and friendly staff for a tour of our facility or to schedule your child’s evaluation today and be sure to bookmark our site and visit us for frequent updates.
Want to get involved and help? Follow us on Twitter (@autismbroward) or Like us on Facebook and join the conversation! We have earned a well-deserved reputation for excellence in Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Cooper City, Plantation, and all of Broward County.